Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Good (Almost) Daddy

So, I thought I would take a post to brag on my awesome husband...aka the "almost daddy."
He has been unbelievably patient and accommodating with me the past couple of months. And he is so adorable.
I wish that I had a picture of his face the day we first REALLY saw the baby on the sonogram.  It was about at about 12 and a half weeks along, and the baby was CRAZY that day. Really, it looked like it was throwing a major tantrum (which I may too if somebody kept banging away at my home with a little machine.)  Rather, we chose to say that it was still dancing to the Michael Jackson cd we had been playing in the car on the way to the appointment.  Its little arms and legs were just pumping away.  We could see everything on the baby as clear as day, even every little feature on its face. 

For the rest of the day, Christos kept saying again and again "I saw the baby.  I saw the baby.  I saw the baby."  And he had the most adorable, goofy, happy, smile on his face.  He was walking around like he was floating on air.  That day, we started telling family and close friends, and he could not contain himself.  When he was talking on the phone to anyone, he would pace around the house full of adrenaline and wearing a smile from ear to ear.  He kept asking "who else can I tell?"  

I think, up until that day, he absolutely could not fathom that it was all actually happening.  That day made it all real for him.
                           
However, even before that, he was so good to me.
For one, I was probably (read absolutely) pretty hard to live with.  A couple of weeks I really did cry A LOT.  I may have also gotten angry a fair amount.  I was scared, hormonal, hot, and impatient.  And, as we had not told anybody else at all that we were having a baby, I took it ALL out on Christos.  He handled it (me) all beautifully.

Also, in the early days, when I sometimes just could NOT make dinner, he did not complain at all when he had to eat pita or souvlaki take-away or frozen pizza more times in one month than he should in a year.  Although, for him, that may have been a treat...like "making" a child eat hot-dogs and french fries too often. 
The day I was actually throwing up all day, we had to go to town to get some blood work done.  We had to pull over about 40 times for me to take care of things.  The very first stop, we realized that we had nothing in the car for me to "freshen up" with.  Christos literally gave me the shirt off his back to clean up with.  We then drove all over town, got the blood work, went to 2 stores to find ginger ale, and pulled over for me on all major roads and large parking lots.  I am sure the shirtless wonder and his heaving bride were a beautiful spectacle for half the island of Corfu that day.  He handled it all like a champ.


He has not missed a single doctor's appointment.  He is excited, asks questions, and helps a lot with the language barrier.  He even goes with me every time I need lab work (lab work here is always done in a completely different place than your doctor's office...they write a prescription for the tests you need, and you just go to any microbiology lab.)   He also was a trooper in our whole change of doctor fiasco (a story for another day.) 

Also, in the days of the heat, I may have unceremoniously shoved him (hard) away from me in the bed.  He also puts off heat.  

And, we cannot forget the countless hours he has massaged my neck and back to alleviate the crazy headaches I have had.  His hands on my neck are about the only things I have found that gives me any relief at all!  (And, no matter how much he may have wanted to, he never actually put his hands around my neck.)
Aside from all that, he has been amazing at making sure we get to spend lots of fun, quality couple time before the baby arrives.  As we only just married in April, we want to make sure we take all advantage possible of our last days as just us.  We have had lots and lots of fun dates and outings, and we always laugh a lot and always have loads to talk about and a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!
So, yay for my husband and yay for the amazing daddy he will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've always felt that (soon-to-be)Papa Christos was a KEEPER!!!!! Gotta love that guy!!!

    ReplyDelete