Sunday, February 20, 2011

Caution Danger Stay Back

I may should have been wearing a sign last week saying those things.  For the good of the human race.  Or at least my husband.  I had a bad day. 

So, let me start by saying all last week was gray and rainy and blah.

I had finished getting everything ready for baby to arrive, as I was told she was to arrive soon, and was basically just waiting around.  And eating.  And I like to eat.  But, I can say that when you are hungry ALL the time (as I have been the past week) it actually gets pretty annoying.  I am bored of eating, but I cannot stop.  I also think I may have spoken too soon on the whole no cravings thing.  They hit hard last week and usually revolved around meat, chocolate, and creamy dairy stuff.  At the risk of grossing you out, can I please show you what I drove across town and got myself on Valentine's Day?

I decided I needed TWO of those.  What are those you may want to know?  They are these...and the pictures do not do justice to their sheer enormity.  Nobody in their right mind needs two of those...ever.

I also thought I needed two of these.  When I say need, I mean all-consuming-gotta-have-it-will-have-the-shakes-and-not-be-able-to-think-straight-until-I-get-it necessity.
****I have rarely had Coke during my pregnancy, almost never actually.  But I am at the end.  And I have wanted it a couple of times in the past week.

*****I only ate one pita.  Actually, I did not finish it.  This made for a very happy Valentine's Day for a certain puppy....  I also only drank one Coke.

Valentine's Day (via the husband) also provided me with these pretty flowers which have graced my table since.  I love them.  I also love my husband, who I am about to say bad things about (though really only because he is a man and he is a rational human).

So, the bad day was Thursday.  I had a doctor's appointment at 9am.  If you recall, last Thursday (the 10th) I was told Maria should be arriving in about 7 days, maybe 10.  At the appointment before that, I was told around the 18th.  Same thing.  Now, I know that doctors do not really know these things.  I really do know that.  They are just guessing, but here they present such estimates as if they are fact.  And I WANTED that to be true.  So, I chose to believe it.  This Thursday, however, same doctor said it should be about 7 to 10 days...AGAIN...with no mention of the fact that he said that LAST week.  And I was not happy.

I realize that I am only 38+ weeks, and that this is my first baby and all, but when I had been told repeatedly that she would be here by now, it kinda made it harder to handle.  I was not really mentally prepared to still be pregnant for many days.


I have had an easy pregnancy and have no reason to complain.  I am healthy and reasonably comfortable.  And, in the more rational, practical, selfless part of my mind I know that the longer baby stays put at this point is probably for the better.  She will come when she is good and ready.  And what is a week of my anxiousness compared to my daughter's lifetime and her health?  But, in the more emotional, hormonal, sleep-deprived, irritable part of my mind, I was ready to get this show on the road. 

I was so angry at the doctor for saying the baby would be here already, as if it was a fact, when he really had no idea.  Husband had the honor of dealing with this frustration.  I can halfway say that he deserved it.  Ladies, can you help me on this one?  After leaving the doctor's office, he repeatedly asked why exactly I was so eager for the baby to come.  As in, he said over and over again that he just "could not understand" why I was so ready for the pregnancy to be over.  The doctor also said the same thing (also a man.)  I mean, is that just me, or is it a slap-worthy statement??  (I did not actually slap anyone.)  But, can people who have never been pregnant just refrain from making comments like that,  please????

This is all on top of the fact that the night before dear husband had told me, in all seriousness, that the finger he had slammed that day at work (which, I am sure really hurt, and is black and blue and looks bad) absolutely hurts more than any pain I will feel in childbirth because, and I quote, "fingers are really sensitive."  Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

I have to admit that I probably sounded (and was) very selfish and petty complaining about not delivering already.  As husband pointed out, the doctor's appointment went great, she is in perfect health, I am in perfect health, and she just needs a little more time to add some weight for her own sake.  We have every reason to be happy.  But, at the time, all I wanted was sympathy, understanding, some pats on the back for this labor of love, and a massage...not common sense.  Is that bad????  (Do I sound like a colossal brat or what?)

So, husband went to work and thought, "Ha!  The doctor wants the baby to gain weight, I will show him gaining weight!!!!"  And, in a fit of cravings, rage, hormones, and hunger, I tore across town to the supermarket and ended up with exactly this.
 Oh, wait, I mean this
That would be an assorted array of calorie-laden spreads meant to be moderately smoothed across breads or cakes, but which I fully intended, and did, eat with a spoon, a few creamy dairy products, and two bakery boxes full of these.
But, this did not come easy.  After pealing across up and down the roads like a maniac to a supermarket that I knew had both a bakery and a vast array of lard-containing spread products, I filled my basket, and then went to the bakery...salivating the whole way.  All the while in the store, all I could think about was getting back in the car and digging in to my purchases.  While waiting (an eternity) to have my pastries boxed and weighed at the bakery counter, a man came through the front door (next to the bakery) who was obviously seriously mentally disturbed.  He was alone and muttering to himself and acting strange.  The counter lady and I exchanged glances and went on about our business.

I proceeded to the checkout where I had just deposited my precious bakery boxes and two other items on the conveyor belt when the crazy man literally ran right into me, shoving against my shoulder and my purse, went around me, and threw 7 sacks of flour (his only purchases) on the conveyor belt on top of my stuff and then began the most horrible, awful, shocking, unbelievable attack of coughing you have ever heard in your life.  Heads were turning, mouths were gasping, everyone was stopping to look.  Not only was he not covering his mouth, he was leaning over the belt, and coughing literally ALL OVER my beloved lard. 

If you know me at all, you know that I do not handle germs well, especially now that I am in a "family way."  I just started backing away in horror.  I left all that was on the belt on the belt.  I could feel how hot my face was in rage and desire for those now-contaminated pastries.  I went straight back to the bakery, where we could still hear the man hacking up a lung.  Shaking, I asked the lady to please re-do my order, explaining I would pay for it all, I just could not bear to touch those things again.  I then went back through the store and grabbed replacements for the other items I had left on the belt, went to a different line, and checked out again.  

I can honestly say that such things are not a rare occurrence around here at all. I just usually am in a mental state more capable of handling such occurrences. 

Also, not rare, are the two following things that made my day even better.

After leaving the supermarket I immediately ripped into my purchases.  I crammed whatever I could get into my still-flushed face with one hand, and, with the other, I drove straight to the video store.  I was convinced that the only thing I could handle doing on this dreary and disappointing day was to find something to watch and wallow on the couch (and absolutely nothing in English comes on here at all during the day except CNN, which can also be dreary and depressing.)  The sign said the store opened at 11.  I got there at 11:20.  It was not open.  I sat in my car and created a massacre that looked like this.
That picture makes me sad.

At 12:15 the place was still dark and closed, although I knew someone had to be around because there was a motorcycle parked in the middle of the store.  They did not surface. 

I had to put away my creamy dairy groceries, so I headed home, threw them in the fridge, and left again immediately, still convinced the only cure for my day was a good ole American movie.  I went to TWO other video stores I knew of.  Both had shut down...the economy is bad here, y'all.  Finally, I went into town, found a store, opened an account, and got 4 movies.  Feeling much better that both missions were now accomplished to make for a somewhat satisfying day (food and movies) I headed back to my car.
I had parallel parked on the street along a sidewalk.  When I returned, I saw my final happy surprise of the day (again, nothing too out of the ordinary in these parts.)  Some considerate person had parallel parked NEXT to me.  As in side by side, adjacent to my car, between me and the street.  As there was also a car in front and behind me, I was totally stuck.  I sat there laying on my horn.  And laying on my horn.  They never came.  Miraculously, the man parked in front of me just happened to come a bit later, as I guess he was leaving anyway.  He left and I pulled forward and away.  Thankfully, as I may still be there today hunched over my steering wheel crying.  Although, based on the mood I was in that day, I think it may be more likely that I would have acted in some way that would  have the driver of that car still crying today.  

So, that is the (rather long) story of Haley and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.  I have to admit, after 4000 calories, a good movie, and a nice long walk, the day got a lot better.  In all, by the time Christos got home, I had regained my sanity and we had a good night....complete with that massage :)  

I have to say that I totally realize that the day could have been a lot worse.  Nobody was hurt or harmed in any way.  I am grateful for a full-term baby.  I am very thankful for all of our health, and that nothing actually really bad happened.  And I am appreciative every day for a patient husband who puts up with me and loves me anyway.  And I have loads of things in my life to be happy about (see all former posts.)  


 

  
 
 
 
 But I thought I would share about my day.  

The sun came out yesterday.  I have calmed down, found my sanity, and regained my composure, and am now again patiently waiting on Maria....with a much better attitude. 
  
P.S.  That adorable pink outfit above arrived in the mail a couple of days ago.  It was a gift from my Mimi, who had one of her friends handmake it for Maria.  How adorable is that?? 

2 comments:

  1. Poor thing! I've definitely had days like that. You feel like the world is against you. So sorry, and I'm glad that things brightened up. We can't wait to know that she is here! Just think...one month from today, you will be loving on that sweet baby girl. (I always try to give myself a goal not too far in the future). Love you, Cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Poor Heartbeat! There will be "days" and "daze", but fortunately they all pass and better days arrive. I read your blogs to Poppa and he could hardly understand me due to my laughter and tears. You really need to publish these in a book one day. I remember two incidents during my pregnancy with your mom. One was a SEVERE craving for those nice seedless green grapes from California. They were not in season and you could not buy them year-round like you can now. I worked with an old bachelor gentleman who took it upon himself to order me a five-pound crate of those grapes and he told the other ladies in the office that they could not have even ONE GRAPE. They were ALL for Pat!!! The other time was the only time I had lost weight between doctor visits. I had also been on a strict salt-free diet because of fluid retention. The doctor and my mother were so proud of me for the loss that I was allowed to eat what I wanted that day. Mother took me out on the way home - I ate a DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER, FRIES with a CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE. For dinner we had CHICKEN AND RICE, CORNBREAD and GREEN BEANS WITH HAM CHUNKS with APPLE PIE. I woke up about 6:30 am with severe indigestion and took two Alka-Seltzers thinking I had just overeaten. NOPE -not indigestion - it was Melanie ready to be born and get some of those good things to eat. She was born at ll:08 that morning. She was exactly one month early! and full-term.
    Your time will get here. Just enjoy this time as a twosome as you will never have this again.
    LOVE-LOVE - XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete